California Home Insurance Quotes
Look no further for California home insurance quotes. California-licensed agents with HomeInsurance.com can make your day by searching multiple highly rated carriers to find you the best deals out there. Don't leave your California home insurance up to chance. By allowing HomeInsurance.com to shop around for you, you can be assured that they'll find the deal that suits your family. Stick with us and you can feel as golden as your home state.
Why California Home insurance?
California's name summons up images of paradise, but the state is vulnerable to its fair share of natural disasters. As the nation's third largest state, California experiences varying climates and geographical regions. The state's redwood forests, rolling hills, mountains, and thriving cities experience wildfires, floods, storms, landslides, earthquakes, and infamous Santa Ana winds. Know what events your California policy covers to make sure you're protected from the unexpected.
California's long Pacific coastline, while gorgeous, makes up part of the ring of fire, an area along the basin of the Pacific Ocean in which earthquakes and volcanic eruptions frequently occur, sometimes causing tsunamis, floods, or landslides. In fact, California encompasses many fault lines, including the notorious San Andreas Fault.
Remember that earthquake, flood, and landslide damage is not covered by standard homeowners insurance. If you live in an at-risk area, you may need to purchase separate policies for each respective event. The California Earthquake Authority can help; you should also check out the state's FAIR plan.
Home insurance rates in California
Homeowners insurance premiums in California were around $642.00 in October of 2013 when they decreased from $662 in September. These rates reflect average premiums on new sold policies by HomeInsurance.com. A standard policy will cover the structure of the buildings on the property, the contents of the home, liability for the homeowner(s), medical payments and loss of use expenses.
Average Premiums for Home Insurance In California
|Oct 2013||Sep 2013||Aug 2013||Jul 2013||Jun 2013|
No matter which way prices fluctuate, there are multiple ways you can save on your California homeowners insurance. Enter your ZIP code above or call 1-877-919-5198 and agents with HomeInsurance.com will help you find price breaks for your monthly premium. Some common ways to save include:
- Bundling: You could save up to 20% if you purchase your California home insurance and auto insurance with the same carrier.
- New home: If your home was built within the last 10 years, you could save on your monthly premiums. New and updated major home systems ñ such as HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems ñ also might qualify you for discounts.
- Claims history: Ten year claims-free California residents could get price breaks of up to 20%.
- Security: Adding a home security system could save you up to 10%. Even adding deadbolt locks could qualify you for a 5% discount.
- Fire: Wildfires and droughts plague the Golden State. To protect your family from the hot California sun and the havoc it could cause, consider installing a sprinkler system and smoke detectors, both of which could save you money on your home insurance premiums. You also could earn a discount if no one in your family smokes.
California home insurance quotes: What others pay
Curious about how much fellow residents pay? Below you'll find details about the last five California policies written by agents with HomeInsurance.com. Remember, policies may differ based on individual house, policy type, and history.
|Home 1||Home 2||Home 3||Home 4||Home 5|
|Premium with Auto Discount||$588†||$434†||$330†||$703†||$733†|
|Foundation type||Slab||Crawl Space||Slab||Slab||Slab|
|Discounts|| || || || || |
|Primary Heat Source||Central Electric||Central Gas||Central Gas||Central Gas||Central Gas|
Home insurance rates by California county
In addition to many individual factors, rates are determined by a house's location, county, and state. Use the chart below to determine how your county's rates compare to the state average.
California home insurance and the rest
Compared to the national average premium of $843, Californians pay $642 on average for their monthly home insurance premiums.
Standard California home insurance coverage
So how will your California policy help cover you? A standard homeowners policy in CA contains the following coverage types:
- Dwelling: What you traditionally think of when envisioning home insurance, dwelling coverage protects the structure of your home from harm. You should have enough to completely repair or replace your house if it is destroyed by a covered event.
- Other Structures: Sheds, detached garages, and other buildings on your property could be protected by this type of coverage.
- Loss of Use: If a covered event damages your house so that it becomes uninhabitable, Loss of Use will help pay restaurant and hotel bills while your house is repaired or rebuilt.
- Personal Property: This coverage type protects the contents of your home. Complete a home inventory to ensure that your policy covers all of your possessions. Remember that there can be coverage limits on collectibles and high-value items such as jewelry and furs.
- Personal Liability: Personal liability helps protect you from injury lawsuits. If a non-family member becomes injured on your property and decides to take you to court, this coverage can help pay for legal fees and the final judgment.
- Medical Payments: If non-family members become injured and do not take you to court, this coverage can help pay for their medical bills.
California home insurance resources
Quiz: Quiz yourself here to find out how well you know the ins and outs of your policy.
Calculate: Determine the amount of dwelling coverage you'll need by entering your ZIP code and the size of your home here.
Prepare: Use our Disaster Preparedness Guide to prepare for and protect from the unexpected.
Inventory: Don't lose anything in an unexpected event. Download and print our free home inventory checklist.
Find homeowners insurance in your city
Prospect for your city below to get more information on California homeowners insurance.