New York Home Insurance Quotes
Homeowners in the Empire State know there's much more to New York than the teeming island of Manhattan. From the suburbs of Buffalo to the majestic Adirondack Mountains, New York homeowners come in many different varieties. And whether you own a townhome in Brooklyn or a cabin next to Lake Ontario, you need a New York home insurance policy with coverage you can count on at a price you can afford.
That's because the state's threats are varied: Hurricanes, ice storms, and lightning are the most common. You don't have to have a long memory to think about Superstorm Sandy and the effects it had on the state, particularly Manhattan and Long Island.
Licensed agents at HomeInsurance.com want to make shopping for New York home insurance easy. Call us today and a dedicated agent will give you up to eight competitive quotes from top New York home insurance providers and work with you one-on-one to customize a policy that best fits your needs.
Shopping for New York home insurance quotes on your own can be time consuming and frustrating. Why not let a friendly agent at HomeInsurance.com do the work for you? Just sit back, relax, and we'll help you find the best rate on the most comprehensive coverage.
Our most recent New York home insurance quotes
Curious as to how much other New York homeowners are paying for home insurance? Below are the details of the last five policies written in New York by HomeInsurance.com agents. Remember factors like square footage and location can affect the premium.
|Home 1||Home 2||Home 3||Home 4||Home 5|
|Premium with Auto Discount||$741†||$389†||$993†||$574†||$853†|
|Foundation type||Basement||Crawl Space||Basement||Basement||Basement|
|Lot Size||222,156 Sq Ft||12,000 Sq Ft||1,332,936 Sq Ft||9,010 Sq Ft||110,642 Sq Ft|
|Square Feet||2,034 Sq Ft||1,289 Sq Ft||1,484 Sq Ft||1,956 Sq Ft||3,465 Sq Ft|
|Discounts|| || || || || |
|Primary Heat Source||Central Gas||Central Gas||Central Gas||Central Gas||Central Gas|
Home insurance rates in New York
Average New York home insurance rates in October were approximately $703.00 which have decreased since September when rates were around $722. Average rates in the area reflect premiums on new policies sold by HomeInsurance.com in New York. For a full list of premiums by state visit our RateReport.
Average Premiums for Home Insurance In New York
|Oct 2013||Sep 2013||Aug 2013||Jul 2013||Jun 2013|
Regardless of how New York home insurance premiums fluctuate, it doesn't mean you can't continue to lower your home insurance premiums. Loyalty is great, but don't be blindly loyal to your provider; shop your coverage annually to see whether you can save money. Discounts can also be helpful when trying to cut costs.
Homeowners who work with HomeInsurance.com have access to a variety of savings across multiple providers. Here are some common discounts and other price breaks to ask your agent about:
- Security:Bundling: Are your home and auto insurance policies with the same provider? If so, you could be eligible for a discount of up to 20%.
- Home safety: Insurance providers like to reward homeowners who take extra safety precautions by owning things like security systems, fire alarms, sprinkler systems and deadbolt locks. Homes with these items could be eligible for discounts between 5-20%.
- New home: If your home is less than 10 years old, you could qualify for a new home discount of up to 20% on your premium.
- Deductible: Increasing your deductible, in general, will lower your premiums. Take great caution doing this, however; you don't want a deductible you can't afford to pay.
Compare New York home insurance rates to average U.S. rates
New York policyholders paid an average of $703 compared with the national average of $846 for their home insurance premiums.
Average New York home insurance rates by county
Wondering if homeowners in your area pay more for New York homeowners insurance than the state average? Check out the map below and find out how average premiums in your county compare with the average rates in your state.
Standard New York homeowners insurance coverage
When you think of home insurance, you think about protecting the structure of your home against damage and possible loss due to covered events such as wind, fire, and hail. Standard policies do that and they protect other structures on your property, such as detached garages, sheds, and even fences.
But there's more to home insurance than that. Here are some additional protections that come as part of a standard policy:
- Security: Contents/Personal Property: Offers protection for the personal items inside you home in the event they are stolen or destroyed by a covered peril. This can include items such as furniture, electronics and clothing. High value items may require additional coverage.
- Loss of Use: Provides assistance in paying living expenses in the event you cannot inhabit your home due to a covered claim. This could include hotel and restaurant bills.
- Personal Liability Protection: Standard NY policies provide financial protection in the event that a visitor is injured on your property and decides to sue you.
- Medical Payments: Helps cover medical expenses if a visitor sustains an injury on your property but doesn't sue you.
Remember, standard New York homeowners insurance doesn't include coverage for flooding, and New York's proximity to the coast can make it an easy target for hurricanes and other severe storms. Again, consider Sandy's effect on the state in late fall 2012. Affected communities are still reeling from the destruction and many areas are a long way from being repaired.
Homeowners who want flood protection can purchase a separate flood policy through the National Flood Insurance Program. These policies offer homeowners peace of mind even in the face of high waters. Find out more information about the National Flood Insurance Program and New York here.
If you would like more information regarding insurance in the state of New York, visit the New York Department of Insurance website.
Other New York homeowners resources
Dwelling coverage should be enough to replace your home in the event of a complete loss. Find out how much coverage your home needs with our home insurance calculator.
If Superstorm Sandy happened again, would you be prepared? Get your family and home ready for the unexpected with our handy disaster preparedness guide.
Check out our frequently asked questions page and get some answers to your most burning home insurance questions.
Find home insurance in your city
Still need more information on New York homeowners insurance. Find your city – or the one closest to it – on the list below.