What is Medical Payment or MedPay Coverage?
Medical Payment Coverage, commonly referred to as MedPay, is the section of a standard home insurance policy that will cover medical costs in the event that someone is injured on your property and does not want to sue you. When someone is injured on your property and does not want to sue you for the damages, you can use MedPay to help cover medical costs. MedPay would cover injuries sustained on your property when a lawsuit is not present such as the following examples:
- A neighbor falls on your steps, hurts her back and does not want to sue
- A neighborhood child falls on your driveway , sprains his ankle and does not want to sue
- Your friend is bit by your dog and does not want to sue
Typical MedPay coverage will cover $1,000 per injured person. Some homeowners may choose to take out an extension of this coverage if they feel they need extra protection.
Some types of occurrences that are NOT covered under this type of coverage include injuries sustained:
- Due to the transmission of a communicable disease
- Because of physical/mental/sexual abuse
- Occurring out of the sale, manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance
Want tips on how to protect your home and reduce the risk of dwelling claims?
Have other questions about home insurance or how to get started? Visit our FAQ page to see questions that have been posted by our customers. Want to speak with one of our licensed agents? Request a Call and one of our agents will call you.
Or call an agent directly at 1-877-877-7245.