With HomeInsurance.com, you don't have to fight to defend your right to worthwhile Alabama home insurance quotes. Our agents work with multiple highly rated providers to find the perfect fit for you. So sit back, relax, and let us do the work.
Why buy an Alabama home insurance policy?
Though "stars fell on Alabama," many other things (such as precipitation, thunderstorms, and hurricanes) also have befallen the state. Thunderstorms can bring wind, lightning, and hail damage, especially to the central and northern parts of the state. Alabama's numerous rivers experience flooding risk, especially in the spring and summer.
Alabama is tied with Kansas for the most E5 tornadoes of any state. Not only does the Cotton State face the standard tornado season (early spring through early summer), it also undergoes a secondary tornado season from November to December. The Southern part of the state's propensity to twisters has garnered it the nickname Dixie Alley.
Though a standard Alabama home insurance policy protects against some of the damaging storms Alabama faces (tornadoes, thunderstorms, hail, lighting), it excludes coverage for others (flooding and some hurricane damage). Check your policy to make sure your limits are high enough for you. If you live in a floodplain, consider purchasing a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program.
Home insurance rates in Alabama
Homeowners in Alabama are paying around $992.00 for home insurance as of February of 2014. Rates have increased since January when Alabama homeowners insurance premiums were approximately $975.00. The rate of $992/year reflects standard coverage and does not include flood or earthquake damage which is covered under a separate policy. Read more about flood insurance.
Average Premiums for Home Insurance In Alabama
|Feb 2014||Jan 2014||Dec 2013||Nov 2013||Oct 2013|
Sweet home Alabama's propensity to hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes has hiked up its home insurance rates. How exactly do the state's rates rank nationally? On average, Alabama residents paid $992, whereas the national premium was $815
You should always look for ways to save, especially when premiums increase. You could be doing everything right and leaving money on the table by simply not knowing how to qualify for discounts. Call us at 1-877-295-3422 or enter your ZIP code above and we can start finding savings for you. Some common price breaks for which you might qualify include:
- Bundle: You could save money on your monthly premiums by buying your auto policy and your Alabama home insurance policy through the same carrier.
- Security: Safeguard your home by installing a security system and you could earn a discount. Simply installing deadbolt locks could save you up to 5%.
- Fire safety: Providers typically offer discounts to homes with smoke detectors, sprinklers, and non-smoking families.
- Claims history: Alabama homeowners who haven't filed a claim in the last 10 years can save on their monthly premiums.
- New house: Though tradition rules the South, buying new could save you money. Houses built within the last 10 years could earn you discounts on your Alabama homeowners insurance.
Alabama home insurance: what your neighbors pay
So how do your county's rates compare to others and to the state average? Click below to compare your country's rates. Knowing what others pay can help you decide how much coverage to buy, and at what price.
If you're curious for more specifics about your fellow residents' policies, check out the list below. It details the last 5 Alabama home insurance policies sold by HomeInsurance.com. Remember that carriers use many factors besides location to determine premiums.
|Home 1||Home 2||Home 3||Home 4||Home 5|
|Premium with Auto Discount||$855†||$547†||$955†||$723†||$599†|
|Foundation type||Basement||Slab||Crawl Space||Slab|
|Discounts|| || || || || |
|Primary Heat Source||Central Electric||Central Gas||Central Electric||Central Electric|
Standard Alabama home insurance policy protection
When it comes to insurance, knowledge can help you. By understanding the coverage types contained in a standard Alabama home insurance policy, you can make sure your policy protects you in all the right ways. Normal coverage types include:
- Dwelling and Other Structures: Your policy protects the structure of your home (Dwelling) and anything on your property detached from it (Other Structures) from specified perils such as wind and fire.
- Personal Property: The contents of your home receive protection from covered perils from this type of coverage.
- Loss of Use: If your house must be repaired after a covered event and you must move out, Loss of Use can help pay for hotel and restaurant bills you accrue.
- Personal Liability: If someone becomes injured on your property and decides to take you to court, Personal Liability coverage can help pay court fees and the final judgment.
- Medical Payments: Your policy helps pay medical bills in the event that someone sustains an injury on your property but doesn't take you to court.
Additional AL home insurance resources
Home insurance quiz-Think you know all of the Alabama homeowners insurance basics? Take our quiz to find out.
Homeowners insurance calculator- Determine the amount of dwelling coverage you'll need and find average Alabama dwelling costs.
Disaster preparedness guide- Better protect your family from any impending disaster by first following our guide.
Find Alabama home insurance in your city
Customize your search by clicking your city below.