A weather history like Louisiana's can make finding worthwhile Louisiana home insurance quotes seem like a pipe dream. With HomeInsurance.com, however, you can fall in love with living in Louisiana all over again. We work with multiple highly rated carriers to serve up the right coverage at the right price. Just sit back, kick up your boots, and let us do the work for you.
Protect with Louisiana homeowners insurance
As a resident, you know about Louisiana's vulnerability to flooding. Lately, however, changes in climate and weather patterns have altered flood plains and made unexpected flooding commonplace. If you live anywhere in the southern part of the state, consider purchasing flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program. Get Louisiana information here.
Louisiana also is no stranger to tropical cyclones, major Gulf Coast hurricanes, thunderstorms (over 60 days per year), and tornadoes (about 27 per year). Though a standard Louisiana home insurance policy will protect from wind, thunderstorm, and hail damage, it does not cover flooding that arises from a hurricane. There also can be limits to windstorm damage. Check your policy frequently to make sure your home and family are adequately covered. Windstorm coverage is available from the state-governed Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corp.
Home insurance rates in Louisiana
The average Louisiana home insurance rate in February 2014 was $1277.00. It appears that rates have decreased since January when average rates in Louisiana were around $1336.00. This reflects the annual cost of a standard home policy and does not include flood insurance or earthquake insurance.
Average Premiums for Home Insurance In Louisiana
|Feb 2014||Jan 2014||Dec 2013||Nov 2013||Oct 2013|
Louisiana may have bloomed out of floods, hurricanes, and other adversities, but home insurance rates seem slow to follow in recovery. The state typically has one of the highest average premiums in the country. For example, Louisiana residents paid $1277, compared with the national average premium of $815.
With big rates that aren't easy, it's a good idea to look for ways to save on Louisiana home insurance. If you enter your ZIP code above or call us at 1-877-295-3422, we can begin qualifying you for discounts that you might've missed. Some ways you can qualify for price breaks include:
- Being fire safe: By installing sprinkler systems or smoke detectors in your home, you could qualify for discounts. You also could save if no one in your household smokes.
- Locking up: A security system can help protect your home and your wallet. Providers typically offer price breaks to homeowners with security systems and deadbolt locks.
- Buying new: Houses built within the last 10 years can typically earn their owners discounts.
- Bundling: Purchasing your auto insurance and Louisiana homeowners insurance through the same provider could save you up to 20%.
What your LA neighbors pay
Stay informed about average home insurance premiums in your area to get the savings you deserve. Knowing the average rate for your parish can help you. Click below to find out how your parish compares to those surrounding it and to the state average.
What do your fellow residents pay for Louisiana homeowners insurance? Do you qualify for all of the available discounts? Check out the list below of the last 5 Louisiana policies sold by HomeInsurance.com to find out. Location is only one factor used to determine premiums; others include house type and individual history.
|Home 1||Home 2||Home 3||Home 4||Home 5|
|Premium with Auto Discount||$2,049†||$1,275†||$1,296†||$947†||$995†|
|Discounts|| || || || || |
|Primary Heat Source||Central Electric||Central Gas||Central Electric||Central Gas||Central Gas|
Standard Louisiana home insurance policy coverage
Just as important as what you pay for your home insurance is what it protects. These coverage types make up a standard Louisiana home insurance policy:
- Dwelling and Other Structures: These coverages protect the structure of your home and other buildings on your property.
- Loss of Use: If your house becomes too badly damaged by a covered peril to live in while it undergoes repair, this portion of your policy can help pay any hotel and restaurant bills you accrue.
- Personal Property: This coverage type helps pay for damage to your home's contents.
- Medical Payments and Personal Liability: When someone sustains an injury on your property and decides not to sue, your policy can help pay that person's medical bills (Medical Payments). If that person instead decides to sue, your policy can help pay legal costs and the final judgment (Personal Liability).
Additional resources for homeowners
Home insurance quiz- Test your knowledge of your Louisiana home insurance policy.
Disaster preparedness guide- Protect your home and family from any Louisiana disaster (especially floods and hurricanes).
Home insurance 101- Still have some unanswered insurance questions? Our insurance guide can take you through the basics so that you get the best deals.
City-specific Louisiana home insurance
For more customized information about deals, discounts, and coverage in your area, find your city or the closest one to it in the following list: