Mississippi Home Insurance Quotes
Many consider Mississippi the hospitality state, so finding Mississippi home insurance quotes shouldn't be such a chore. Let our licensed Mississippi agents show you what hospitality means. If you come to us, our agents will work with multiple, highly rated carriers to find fitting coverage at a price that makes you smile.
Why a Mississippi home insurance policy?
Why do homeowners in the Magnolia State need home insurance? While temperatures don't vary much across the state (especially in the summer), the disasters for which Mississippi residents must prepare vary widely from north to south.
The northern part of the state is more prone to snowfall in the winter and earthquakes year round. About 27 tornadoes per year plague the entire state, with the north experiencing a higher frequency in the late winter and early spring and the south later in the summer and fall.
The southern part of the state must prepare for frequent thunderstorms, heavy precipitation, risk of wildfires, and Gulf Coast hurricanes. Flooding also represents an integral part of the history of the Mississippi delta, and with deforestation and development, has become a major problem in the region for homeowners and insurance providers alike.
Check your policy to protect yourself from all of the events to which your home is most vulnerable. Flood and earthquake damage, for example, do not receive protection from standard home insurance policies. If you live in the Mississippi delta or the northwest corner of the state, consider purchasing a separate flood insurance policy or earthquake policy respectively.
Home insurance rates in Mississippi
Homeowners in Mississippi are paying around $969.00 for home insurance as of February of 2014. Rates have increased since January when Mississippi homeowners insurance premiums were approximately $968.00. The rate of $969/year reflects standard coverage and does not include flood or earthquake damage which is covered under a separate policy. Read more about flood insurance.
Average Premiums for Home Insurance In Mississippi
|Feb 2014||Jan 2014||Dec 2013||Nov 2013||Oct 2013|
The risk that the Mississippi Delta poses generally drives up rates in the state, and MS premiums are among the highest in the country. On average, Mississippians paid $969 for their home insurance per month, whereas the U.S. average was $815.
No matter which way home insurance premiums fluctuate or how they compare to the national rates, it is always a good idea to search for ways to reduce them. HomeInsurance.com can complete that search for you if you enter your ZIP code above or call our agents at 1-877-919-5198. Some price breaks for which you might qualify:
- Bundle: You can create a bundle by purchasing your home and auto insurance through the same carrier; bundling can save you up to 20% on your monthly premiums.
- Fire safety: Because wildfires are real threats to the Mississippi delta, insurance providers offer discounts to fire-safe homeowners – it's no wonder when the average fire payout is more than $33,000, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). You could get lower premiums to start with if your home is near a fire hydrant or station. You could earn discounts if your house contains smoke detectors or sprinklers. You also could save if no one in your household smokes.
- Security: Sometimes it's best not to be too hospitable. Installing a security system in your home could protect your family and your wallet by earning you savings on your Mississippi home insurance policy. Simply installing deadbolt locks could qualify you for a 5% discount.
- New home: Though tradition rules in Mississippi, buying new could save you too. You could qualify for a new home price break if your home was built within the last 10 years.
- Claims history: That's not to say that providers don't have a keen eye for history: If you haven't filed a claim in the last 10 years, your claims history could earn you lower home insurance rates.
Mississippi home insurance: what others pay
Locational hazards differ from county to county, so premiums also can vary significantly. Compare your county with those surrounding it and to the state average premium below to determine how much your location costs you.
How much do your fellow residents pay for their Mississippi homeowners insurance? The below list shows the last five Mississippi policies written by the agents at HomeInsurance.com. Remember that location represents only one of the many factors that providers use when determining premiums. Other factors include house type and individual history.
|Home 1||Home 2||Home 3||Home 4||Home 5|
|Premium with Auto Discount||$839†||$987†||$1,243†||$2,247†||$1,158†|
|Carrier||Travelers||Liberty Mutual||Safeco||Liberty Mutual||MetLife|
|Foundation type||Slab||Crawl Space||Slab||Crawl Space|
|Discounts|| || || || || |
|Primary Heat Source||Central Electric||Central Gas||Central Gas||Central Electric|
Standard Mississippi home insurance coverage
When it comes to a Mississippi home insurance policy, price shouldn't be the only determining factor. Cover all your bases by familiarizing yourself with the protection included in a standard policy, which contains the following types:
- Dwelling and Other Structures: Your home (Dwelling) and any other buildings on your property such as toolsheds or detached garages (Other Structures) receive protection from your policy.
- Loss of Use: If your house becomes damaged in a covered event and you are forced to move out while it undergoes repair, Loss of Use coverage can help get you back on your feet by helping to pay restaurant and hotel bills.
- Personal Property: Your policy helps to pay for the replacement or repair of your home's contents after a covered event.
- Medical Payments and Personal Liability: If someone sustains an injury on your property, but does not take you to court, Medical Payments can help to pay medical bills. If someone sustains an injury on your property and decides to take you to court, this coverage can pay for court fees and the final judgment.
Additional resources for homeowners
Home Insurance Calculator- Discover the amount of dwelling coverage to purchase and determine average Mississippi dwelling costs here.
Home Inventory Checklist- No matter which Mississippi home insurance policy you buy, you should complete a home inventory. See why and how, and download a checklist.
How To's- The best tips on how to find quotes, evaluate them, file claims and save on your premiums.
Insurance information by city
Find more information about Mississippi homeowners insurance by finding your city below. We can't wait to start working for you.