Alaska Auto Insurance
All 50 states require residents to possess some form of auto insurance and offer varying discounts on policies. For those living and driving in The Last Frontier, you're required to carry insurance that includes bodily injury and property damage liability coverages.
Bodily injury liability can cover a certain portion of any medical, rehabilitation, or funeral costs that arise because of a collision you caused that injured another party. Property damage liability can help pay to correct any damage to another driver's vehicle or other property when you're at fault in a wreck. The minimum liability coverage requirements in Alaska are as follows.
- $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per person
- $100,000 of total injury coverage per incident
- $25,000 of coverage for property damage
Though you can get away legally with having the minimum coverages, it may not be the wisest choice. Amounts that exceed the limits set by the state will have to be paid out of pocket as you will still be held personally liable.
In addition, there are other coverages you should consider for your auto insurance policy, including the following:
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: This can help if you're injured or your vehicle is damaged by someone who either has no insurance or doesn't have enough coverage. It also can kick in if you're the victim of a hit-and-run accident.
- Collision coverage: This protection can help pay for repairs to your car when you hit something else (other than an animal), up to your coverage limits.
- Comprehensive coverage: This can assist you for damage to your car that isn't the result of a collision. That includes theft, fire, flooding, vandalism and more. It also helps with repairs if you hit an animal.
What discounts are Alaskans eligible for?
Alaska motorists, depending on their auto insurance provider, can qualify for:
- Good driving discount.
- Good student discount.
- Multi-policy discount.
- Multi-car discount.
- Mature driver discount.
- Homeowner discount.
- Safety features discount.
For a full rundown of discounts and coverages available in Alaska, call one of our licensed agents. We at HomeInsurance.com will help you find the policy that fits your needs and budget.