Rhode Island Auto Insurance
Each state designates necessary auto insurance coverage for its motorists. In Rhode Island, drivers must have policies that include bodily injury and property damage liability.
Liability coverage protects you in the event that you cause a collision that either injures another person or results in damage to another's property. Bodily injury liability can protect you by paying for another party's medical expenses if they're hurt or killed due to a wreck that's your fault. Similarly, property damage liability can pay to repair or replace damage done to a vehicle or other property at your hand. Both coverages can only cover costs up to your policy's maximum limits, leaving you to pay any remainders out of pocket.
The minimum liability limits in the Ocean State are:
- $25,000 bodily injury protection per person
- $50,000 total injury protection per incident
- $25,000 coverage for property damage
If you're considering sticking to the state-required minimums, you could be putting yourself at risk. As mentioned before, you'll be financially responsible for any costs that exceed your coverage, and they can add up quickly. Speak with a licensed agent to determine what the best insurance options are for your needs and budget.
Auto insurance discounts for Rhode Islanders
Drivers in Rhode Island can qualify for the following discounts:
- Claim-free discount. If you've gone a period of years without filing a claim or getting a moving violation, you could save on your policy.
- Safety features discount. Does your car have airbags, anti-lock brakes, an anti-theft device, and/or seatbelts? These features can earn you savings.
- Homeowner discount. If you own your home, you could see a reduction on your car insurance policy.
- Multi-car discount. If you have more than one car in your household, you could save money by protecting them with policies from the same provider.
- Good student discount. Do you have a student on your policy that's younger than 25 and earning B's or better in school? If so, you could be eligible for this discount.
One warning, however: Every discount isn't offered by every provider. Speak to an insurance agent to see which discounts you qualify for and which policy best fits your needs and budget.