Home HQ
Learn More Call 1-833-244-3465

I have a roommate moving into my home, are her belongings covered under my homeowners insurance?

Typically the answer to this question is no. The contents portion of your homeowners insurance policy provides coverage for the policyholder’s belongings as well as immediate family members who reside in the home (children, spouse).

In the event that your home was damaged or lost in a covered peril, your homeowners insurance policy would provide coverage for your belongings, up to the limits for each type of item in your policy.

Your roommate might want to consider purchasing a renter’s insurance policy. A renter’s insurance policy provides coverage for the tenant’s belongings up to coverage limits listed in their policy.  Your roommate would then have sufficient coverage for her belongings in the event of a loss.

For more about renters insurance, visit Renter’s Insurance 101.

Call now and speak to a licensed agent to receive a quote from one of our partners: 1-833-244-3465