Home HQ
Learn More Call 1-833-244-3465

Does my homeowners insurance cover flooding?

Flood damage to your home and personal property is NOT covered by standard homeowners' insurance policies.

However, most insurance companies can offer you a separate flood insurance policy which is underwritten by the National Flood Insurance Program. The policy is also accessible from the National Flood Insurance Program,

Homeowners located within a standard Flood Zone (A, AE, V, etc.), are typically required by their lenders to obtain flood insurance. What many homeowners outside of a standard Flood Zone (A, AE, V, etc.) may not realize, is that while a lender may not require flood insurance, it is always a smart investment to protect your home against flood damage. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), 25-30 percent of all losses occur in low to moderate risk zones. Most homeowners who purchase flood insurance in the low to moderate risk zones are eligible for lower rates.

Flood Insurance typically covers the cost to replace your home, however it only covers the actual cash value for coverage of your possessions. Actual cash value refers to the value of the possessions to replace them minus the depreciation value.

Even if not required by your lender, we recommend obtaining flood insurance especially if your home has the potential to be flooded by a nearby river, lake, or melting snow.

Flood Insurance Guide

Looking for more flood related information? Take a look into our flood insurance 101 guide for additional details.

Last Updated: September 17, 2010

Have other questions about home insurance or how to get started? Want to speak with one of our licensed agents? Give us a call at 1-833-244-3465 and let us get started on your quote today!

More Frequently Asked Questions About Homeowners Insurance

Call now and speak to a licensed agent to receive a quote from one of our partners: 1-833-244-3465