What is an umbrella liability policy?
A: An umbrella liability policy serves as an extension of the liability coverage already included in your standard home insurance policy.
As the name suggests, an umbrella liability policy is there to protect you in stormy financial weather- in the case of a lawsuit against you or a family member. It typically provides protection up to the limits specified in the policy for the following:
- Claims of bodily injury or property damage that are caused by either you or a member of your household
- Claims of bodily injury that occur on your property or due to hazards on your property
- Additional coverage above your auto policy for auto related liabilities
- Protection against personal injury claims such as libel, slander, wrongful eviction and false arrest.
- Costs for legal defense for a covered loss, including attorneys' fees and court costs
(*There are exclusions to each umbrella liability policy which should be discussed with your home insurance agent.)
Last Updated: July 15, 2009
Have other questions about home insurance or how to get started? Want to speak with one of our licensed agents? Give us a call at 1-833-244-3465 and let us get started on your quote today!