How to Avoid Home Insurance Claims
Home Insurance How To's
You buy home insurance because you want to keep your home and family safe. That's a no-brainer. While it gives you a sense of security to know you have coverage, it's not something you want to have to use.
Why? For one, it means something bad has happened - a fire, high winds, hail, or another covered peril. But you also don't want to have to use your coverage for this fact: You can save money on your premiums by having a claims-free history.
That's not to say you shouldn't file claims when you need to - it just means you can be proactive about avoiding damage that will lead to claims. How? Read our tips:
- Hurricanes. Are you ready? If you live on or near the coast, be sure to prepare your home and family for a potential hurricane. An evacuation plan and a disaster supply kit are must-haves. Read our article on Hurricane Preparedness for more on how you can keep your family safe this hurricane season.
- Winter weather. Before the winter weather strikes, get your home and family prepared. Read our Winter Weather tips and see how only a few small precautions can make a big difference in keeping you safe from damage! A good place to start is checking pipes and gutters.
- Prevent dog bites. Man's best friend can sometimes prove to be very dangerous. Read our tips on preventing dog bites in and around your home. Make sure your provider knows what kind of dog you have so you'll know if you have adequate coverage.
- Lock up that bike. With more than 1.5 million bicycles stolen every year, homeowners need to lock up their bikes and keep them safe. Reduce the chance of your bike being stolen by reading - and following - our bike theft prevention tips.
- Prevent home burglary. Read our top tips compiled by our agents and the Burglary Prevention Council on keeping your home safe from theft. One way is to install a security system, but that's not the only tactic. Prevent home burglary!
- Grill safety. Before you cook out this summer, reduce the risk of grill related accidents by reading our grill safety article. Cook food - not your house!
- Pool safety. With summer months around the bend, read our tips on preventing pool related accidents. Keep your family and your visitors - invited or not - safe from accidents. Prevent pool-related accidents!
Do you have other questions about home insurance or how to get started? Call 1-833-244-3465 to speak with an agent licensed in your state.