What is Dwelling Coverage?

Dwelling coverage (sometimes called Coverage A) is the portion of your home insurance policy that pertains to the cost of rebuilding and repairing your home in the event that it is damaged or destroyed in a covered peril such as wind, hail, lightning, or fire.

Standard homeowners insurance, however, does not cover damage from floods or earthquakes. You’ll need separate policies for protection from these losses.

The amount of dwelling coverage that you purchase should equal the cost of rebuilding your home in the event of a complete loss. Do not confuse this amount with the market value of your home. The market value includes the value of your land. In the event of a disaster, you won’t lose your land, only the buildings that stand on it. The rebuilding cost, on the other hand, must account for local construction and materials costs. To determine the replacement value of your home, check out our Home Insurance Calculator.

The amount of dwelling coverage you have also is important because it determines your limits for other types of coverage. The limit for your personal property coverage, for example, is factored as a percentage of your total dwelling coverage. Because of this, it is important that you determine your dwelling protection first.

Customer questions about dwelling coverage

Click the questions below for answers from our experts. Do you have an important home insurance dwelling coverage question? Don’t hesitate to ask us. We can help eliminate your confusion. In the meantime, you can read our Homeowner FAQs to get you started, or call an agent directly at 1-833-231-3644.

What is the difference between replacement cost of my home and actual cash value?

Ben C – Fayetteville, NC

I recently reviewed our home insurance policy after not looking at it for years. I am concerned that we are no longer adequately insured. How can we figure out how much home insurance we need?

Mary P – Port Charlotte, FL

Mold – Covered or not Covered?

Jackie P – Laurinburg, NC

How to protect your home and reduce the risk of dwelling claims

You want to avoid dwelling claims, so we’ve compiled a list of tips for avoiding damage to your home and risks for your family. The more you know, the better you can avoid unnecessary risk. Check out our HomeHQ section for more information.

Other home insurance coverage included in a standard policy:

Your coverage is complicated, and dwelling protection is only one piece of the puzzle. Check out the other parts of your policy here:

Coverage A- Dwelling

Coverage B- Other Structures on Your Property

Coverage C- Personal Property/Contents

Coverage D- Loss of Use

Coverage E- Personal Liability Protection

Coverage F- Medical Payments